[Sca-cooks] Ersterz

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 11:06:30 PST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Kathleen Madsen wrote:

> We live about 15 minutes from Arnold, in Pasadena, wo
> we're just up the river and on the other side from
> him.  This past fall a company was asking for people
> to allow them to hang oyster beds from their piers,
> the idea being that up these rivers and creeks they
> would grow from seedlings in a more protected
> environment.  As they become large enough the larger
> oysters would be moved out to beds in the bay.  We are
> planning on participating but our pier needs to be
> replaced this spring.

I _believe_ (but I could be wrong) that the idea was that for years
people on the inlet in question used all sorts of motorized craft that
were a little too heavy for the size of the waterway, and it had
become polluted with various fuel and oil spills, and the plan I
mentioned was probably, at the time, intended to have oysters filter
the water clean of sludge, rather than to produce edible oysters. This
would have been in conjunction with changes in local zoning laws (or
whatever regulates such things locally) on what types of craft could
be used on that waterway.

I'm pretty sure they have the same type of Rainbow schooner as is used
at the US Naval Academy Sailing School, and that that decision was
only partly to do with being a good starter sailing vessel...

> Eibhlin, who's only oyster experience has been at Hog
> Island Oysters in the SF Ferry Building.  Yummmmm!!!!

Things haven't been the same here since that fun-loving Mafia was
driven out of the Fulton Fish Market by the simple expedient of
closing the market. I haven't been to the other big primary seafood
markets in the city, but there's still the Grand Central Oyster Bar
(not to mention other, lesser restaurants). The GCOB operates on a
pretty simple formula: their seafood buyer keeps turning down various
king's ransoms to go and work where he's really appreciated. Maybe
they've got his kids as hostages or something, but it's definitely the
quality of the raw ingredients that makes the difference at the Oyster
Bar in Grand Central Station; the cooking is usually good, but nothing
extraordinary. You'd have to really work hard at disguising  or
destroying the quality of the fish here. Luckily, they don't succeed.

Now, if only I could afford to eat there more than once every five
years... I did work there for a day or two, but that doesn't count...

Adamantius