[Sca-cooks] Dates

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 20:03:50 PST 2008

I believe that you mean that they are Madjool dates.  These are a wonderful and very large
variety of dates.  Here in Southern California, we are very lucky as our area grows and
provides 80% of all the dates grown in the world.  In fact, this coming weekend starts the
61st annual Date Festival, in Indio, California.  If I weren't going to Estrella War, I would
be there buying all kinds of dates.

Huette

And here is a recipe that you might like, frosty almond date shakes.  This recipe is from
the Mayo Clinic.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
2 tablespoons warm water
2 cups vanilla almond milk, chilled
1/2 cup fat-free vanilla soy or dairy yogurt
1 very ripe banana, frozen
4 ice cubes
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus extra for garnish

Directions:
Put the dates in a small bowl and sprinkle with the warm water. Let soak for 5 minutes to
soften, then drain.

In a blender, combine the dates, almond milk, yogurt, banana, ice cubes and the 1/8 teaspoon
nutmeg. Blend until smooth and frothy, about 30 seconds.

Pour into tall, chilled glasses and garnish each with a dusting of nutmeg.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)
Calories 141
Monounsaturated fat 1 g
Protein 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Carbohydrate 31 g
Sodium 97 mg
Total fat 2 g
Fiber 2 g
Saturated fat 1 g

MAYO CLINIC HEALTHY WEIGHT PYRAMID SERVINGS
Fruits 1
Protein and dairy 1

--- Barbara Dodge <awench1 at cox.net> wrote:

> I have finally been able to identify the variety of dates I have.  They are madjoor dates.  This
> cookie recipe looks wonderful, however if I made them with the dates I have, the cookies would
> be HUGE!  These dates, I kid you not, run about 2-2-1/2 inches long. :-)
>
> Felicia
> ---- PKSARGE at aol.com wrote:
>
> =============
> Having spent nearly two years in North Africa and several visits to the
> Middle East (courtesy of Uncle Sam) I can tell you that fresh dates are indeed a
> treat. There are also many local varieties that never make it outside the local
> markets. Here is a recipe that combines stuffed dates and cookies. It is from
> "The Spice Cookbook" by Avanella Day and Lillie Stuckey, David White Co. New
> York, 1964.
>
> Blind Date cookies:
>
> 3 dozen pitted, dried dates
> 3 dozen pecans
>
> 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 3/4 cup brown sugar
>
> 1 large egg
>
> 1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup milk
>
> Stuff dates with pecans and set aside. Mix together the next 5 ingredients
> until well blended. Beat in egg. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and add
> to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Drop dough, in rounded 1/2
> teaspoonsful, 1/2 inches apart, onto lightly greased cooky sheets. Press a stuffed
> date into the center of each. Cover date completely with a little more dough.
> Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 15 minutes or until
> lighltly browned around the edges. Cool on wire rack. Store airtight.
> YEILD: 3 dozen cookies
>

> Have fun and enjoy your dates,
> Mykael Halfdan
> AKA Dennis Olson
>

> **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
> (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025
> 48)

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/