[Sca-cooks] Fw:Birthday Cakes, was: Christianna MacGrain's Birthday, 2/12/2008, 12:00 am

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 11 22:01:32 PST 2008

Today is my birthday, and I just got this message and thought it might amuse
a few here who know me to read my response.

As it is my birthday, I deem it a holiday for all cooks - so go forth and
party a little bit for yourself today!

Christianna

Well Happy birthday early valentine

mama Yvonne

  LOL - Well thank you.  I have folks ask me all the time "when did you
start cooking?".  I tell them that because of my birthday's proximity to
Valentine's Day, my Mom was in the habit of buying me red Red RED
Valentine's cakes.  Mind you, this was in the mid 60's when it was it was
Red #2 - the really carcinogenic stuff.  And it tasted horrible.  In
self-defense, I started making my own birthday cakes when I was 7 or 8 years
old.  I just continued this tradition, and made a very decadent dark
chocolate torte for myself.  (Now I am avoiding not only the red dye, but
also dairy and wheat and other typical cake ingredients).

I used to tell my Mom that my birthday was on a perfectly good holiday -
Lincoln's Birthday.   I always thought a Lincoln Head Penny Cake would be
cool - could be chocolate and be decorated to look like a penny.  Emilie
fulfilled that wish for me several years ago, so I finally got my penny cake
:-)  I would have thought about decorating my torte, but I've already cut
into it - lol

I still have the picture of Sarah's mermaid cake at Fool's War several years
ago, I think I'm slightly jealous of that one!

            Thanks for the well-wishes.  I'm working most of the day and
then going out to dinner, so it will be a full day.

            Cheers!

            Christianna