[Sca-cooks] Beverage experiments

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Wed Feb 13 08:18:10 PST 2008

I've been teaching a class on non-alcolic period drinks for the last few
years (I've taught it at the last two Pennsics). From the research I've
done, aside from the syrups, whey, buttermilk & spring water were also
consummed. One year, at a West Kingdom A&S event, I had my class right
after Mistress Eibhlin taught a class on butter making, and she gave me the
resulting buttermilk to have available for my class. I think it is worth
mentioniong that the use of ice to cool drinks was commonly practiced in
the Mediterranean area. I've got my handout available at
http://medievalcuisine.madpage.com/classes/Beverages.pdf for anyone who is
interested in them.

Euriol