[Sca-cooks] Beverage experiments

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Feb 13 17:42:41 PST 2008

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 8:12 PM, jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>
>> Well, there's lots of 14th-16th c. garden pictures, etc. of people
>> cooling
>> something in jugs placed in containers of water, streams, well-
>> heads, etc.
>> But it's not clear what they are cooling, since we can't really see.
>
> Nor can we see how cool the stream is; it's presumably a safe
> assumption it is below 98.6, but how much below, who knows?

True. Since these usually appear as part of festive parties, the container
does appear to be in the water to keep it from overheating. But any
temperature between freezing and 98.6 is possible, especially when we see
the jug placed in large bucket or tub containing water.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net