[Sca-cooks] evaporative cooling

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 13 23:12:48 PST 2008

Adamantius commented:
<<< But it _is_ interesting to think of where, on the map of Europe, we
find people cooling with unglazed pottery wine coolers soaked in
water, >>>

Are you speaking of modern times or do we have any evidence of
evaporative cooling being used in period?

I believe the ice houses, that started this thread, were only used in
the 16th century, and not used throughout our period of study.

Some folks may be interested in this file:
p-cold-treats-msg (18K)  6/13/02    Period cold or frozen foods eaten
in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/p-cold-treats-msg.html

Stefan
--------