[Sca-cooks] Mandolin

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 17 09:14:18 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
I find it the easiest of the three models
we have to choose from to use.
http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibeCCtpOXOPrdDtl.jsp?a=b&item=50716  (oxo
on-line has it for $50)  Chef Christy > > > > > > > > > >

I am with Christianna about the design of the OXO.  V-slicers are superior
in my experience than the straight blades.  I had a stainless Bron model
that got the treatment Adamantius described.  I have played h#ll trying to
find just replacement blades for it.  I don't know if you can even buy them.
inexpensive V-slicer would be cheaper even than replacing the blades.

Personally, I have gone to a completely different direction in my
restaurant: Nemco easy slicer.  Yuo can find one new at
http://www.restaurantsource.com/prodDetail.cfm/308791,Nemco%20Easy%20Slicer,
MX2, just as an example ($257).  I found mine on Craig's List for $75 and am
thrilled.  It has an adjustable blade width, and rolls through tomatoes,
onions, peppers, zucchini, potatoes, and even hard cheeses.  It is simpler
and safer to use than a mandolin, dissasembles for easy cleaning, and is
nigh indestructable.  Though it is more epxensive and heavier than the afore
mentioned plastic dealies.

niccolo difrancesco