[Sca-cooks] Feast costs/budgets

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Feb 19 14:23:26 PST 2008

At 02:11 PM 2/19/2008, you wrote:
> >>  She didn't come
> >> along, and later we heard that she'd told her friends that Terese
> >> and I
> >> obviously didn't know how to cook very well, since we had to _test_
> >> our
> >> recipes...
> >
> > My chin just hit my chest with some force! How... why... what...
> >
> > Beyond comment.
> >
> > 'Lainie
>
>That August Personage uses recipes??? What a hack! ;-)
>
>Seriously, though, I must admit honestly that I don't always test
>recipes in real time, either; more often I do a simulation run in my
>head. But it's probably a combination of experience and extreme luck
>to have gotten away with it all these years, and I certainly would
>neither counsel my method for anyone not comfortable with it, or for
>anyone for whom there's another method that works better. I am all
>about doing what works for people.

I do that with stuff I'm cooking in camp, but I wouldn't try to cook
for a feast or anything without a preview.

I usually do a couple of big dinners a year- 8, maybe 12 people. The
biggest group I've fed was 17. I only use recipes that I know well,
and I keep a notebook with detailed instructions for helpers- with
notes kept for future dinners. I can't imagine cooking for a whole
feast without that sort of thing.

Remind me never to eat if that person is cooking!

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore