[Sca-cooks] Feast costs/budgets

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Feb 20 09:54:27 PST 2008

Nick Sasso wrote:

>I think that there are some people in this world who can look at a piece of
>cloth and see the garment, a piece of stone and see the scultpure.  You and
>I had a discourse several years back about being able to see/think/envision
>in tastes and textures.  Not everyone has the ability, and not everyone can
>learn it.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly.

Not everyone can learn it, that's true, just as I have tried and
tried to no avail to learn how to draw but all I come out with is
chicken scratches... However, it is not something that you just have
an innate ability for either, natural talent can play a role but it
isn't everything. Knowledge and practice makes the skill a lot better
and training your memory for taste is just as important as it is for
any other skill.

Over the years, I have developed the ability to taste something and
reverse engineer a recipe as well as to be able to read a recipe and
have a very good idea how it will turn out. A lot of that is
familiarity with the ingredients and a sense for how cooking methods
affect them. Pay attention to what you are eating, read the recipe if
you can, ask questions about how it was prepared and file that all
away for future reference, I think many will be surprised at how much
their cooking skills improve just from such observations.

Dragon