[Sca-cooks] "Breakfast Food"

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 20 13:47:02 PST 2008

Gunthar wrote:
>My first thought is Hannoey, scrambled eggs with sauteed
>onion.
>Then there is also pain pardieu, French Toast. Hard and Soft
>boiled eggs. Toast covered with honey and pine nuts.

Just to make it easier for cooks to find recipes... (and i know that
spelling varies historically)
- Hanoney (hay-non-ee)
- Pan perdu

Although i do find your spelling of that French bread thing amusing
-- "par dieu" means "by God". "Perdu" means "lost" and the recipe is
a way to deal with stale bread.

I travelled to my first Estrella War from the Central West in an RV
full of fighters, most of whom claimed that they did not like period
food. I cooked pan perdu for breakfast and they definitely scarfed it
down and came back for more.

I did do one thing not in any of the original recipes, of which there
are many. Most call for sprinkling the finished cooked bread with
sugar, but I don't like crunchy white sugar on mine. So i made a
syrup of sugar with saffron, rosewater, and various called-for
spices. None of those fighters complained.

One of our intrepid listees did a paper collecting many recipes for
pan perdu a few years back
'From Lost Bread to French Toast' by Christianna MacGrain
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-art.html

And another collected three recipes
Period French Toast Recipes by Hauviette d'Anjou
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/3-F-Toast-Rec-art.html

And, of course, our hard-working Stefan li Rous has collected many of
our discussions on this topic:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-msg.html

All in the Florilegium -- maybe if people know how to pronounce it,
the word won't be so confusing - sort of floor-ih-LEDGE-ee-um)
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing