[Sca-cooks] Late Italian feast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 20 14:15:47 PST 2008

Vitha asked for comments on her proposed menu including:

<<< *1st*
Pie in a Pipkin (beef stew) >>>

Are you going to serve this in a pie shell? Or just the stew, as if
it was taken from an (inedible) pie shell?

<<< Vegetable soup w/ barley - (still looking for a source) >>>

There are several possible recipes in this file, although they really
seem to be barley soup with herbs, rather than what most folks will
think of as vegetable soup.
soup-msg         (114K)  6/10/07    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                        recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/soup-msg.html

<<< *Intermezzo*
Lemon Ice with Pizzelle Cookies >>>

Do you have a period recipe for this Lemon Ice?

<<< *2nd*
Italian Mushle (shell bread ? sweet) >>>

Shell bread? What is this?

<<< *3rd*
Chicken w/ lemon sauce (Neopoltian #56)  (1/2 chicken per table)

Catalan Style Chicken (Neapolitan #61) (1/2 chicken per table) >>>

I've often found carving a chicken at the table to be difficult.
Crowded conditions, lack of appropriate cutting tools/cutting boards
etc. Even harder, I suspect, when you are cutting each 1/2 chicken
into 8 pieces each. How do you plan to serve this?

<<< Minestra di Tagliatelli (handmade noodles ? plain) >>>

Served plain? Is there broth or sauce from the chickens to eat with
this? Or even butter or olive oil?

<<< *Finale*
Dried Fruit Pizza (To make a tart with various things, by the
residents of
Naples called pizza.  Scappi, Chapter 121) >>>

Oh? Fruit pizza? More details, recipe? please. I have a bit of
conjecture and comments on period pizza, but I wasn't aware of any
actual recipes. But one article is on when "pizza", isn't "pizza", so
maybe this is actually the latter.

In the FOOD-BREADS section:
pizza-msg         (20K)  9/ 2/06    Period pizza and similar items.
Is-it-Pizza-art   (27K)  4/27/04    "When is a Pizza not a Pizza?"
                                        by Helewyse de Birkestad

 From the soup-msg file. There are other messages, even on this one
recipe, but one of these authors might be familiar to some on this
list. :-)

====