[Sca-cooks] Anise and Bread - Pliny Re: The benefits of Anise

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 20 17:16:16 PST 2008

More precisely, "...seeing that the seed is held in esteem as a most
agreeable seasoning for bread."

Pliny, The Natural History, Book XX chap. 71

And, "Both green and dried, it is held in high repute, as an ingredient in
all seasonings and sauces, and we find it placed beneath the undercrust of
bread."

Pliny, The Natural History, Book XX chap. 72

While it may have been in the bread, as caraway in rye, I think it likely
this was on the crust in the manner of poppy seeds or sesame seeds.

Bear