[Sca-cooks] Measuring Honey

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 22 05:44:28 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Barbara Benson wrote:

> Thank you all,
>
> And I had never seen that 911 site, that is awesome. I will book mark
> that, and copy and paste your info Bear. I shall not ask this question
> again.

Well, that's good, because you've been terribly annoying... ;-). We
hate stuff like this...

> And Master A - I just don't know. I cannot look at the word and
> pronounce it correctly. My mouth simply refuses to do it. I have a
> similar problem with  rhinoceros I add a few too many ssarouses.

My son has this problem. As long as I can get him to refer to an
incendiary/concussive device placed within a sexually mature male
bovine, he can say "A Bomb In A Bull," with no problem. But the second
he figures out it's all a ploy to trick him into learning to say
"abominable," he trips over it again. As far as I know, no other word
does this to him.

I wonder if there's something in some people's neurological wiring
that reacts badly to the "schwa-r" combination in multisyllabic words,
and/or various other combinations. You have to admit speech is up
there with walking upright as one of the most amazingly outlandish
things you could ask a human body to do, from an engineering standpoint.

I'll bet you could speak of Jeeves' employer and the kind of silk
evening socks he might wear with the old soup-and-fish and black-
patent-leather dancing shoes as worn, and say "Wooster Sheer" all day
if you wanted to, and then someone could nudge you and you'd think
about the county or the sauce, and there'd be this sort of train
wreck...

I'm sorry, this stuff really fascinates me; I don't mean to go on
about it...

> When I manage to redact the recipe that this question was for I will
> post it if there is interest.

Sounds good, especially if we do in fact need more recipe content here
-- I'm not really convinced of that, but hey, I wouldn't complain.

Adamantius