[Sca-cooks] Juana la Loca

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:29:51 PST 2008

I've sveral books in my libarary that touch on these subjects, I'll quote
from Isabella of Spain by Walsh as that is the first I picked up.  page 478:

"The archdutchess left for Flanders in the spring of 1504, greatly impoved
in body and mind at the prospect of seeing the husband she idolized.
Phillip at first recieved her with kindness, and on the surface they
appeared reconciled, until Juana struck his mistress and cut off her
beautiful hair one evening in the presence of the whole court and the
foreign ambassadors."

skip

page 479

It was well for the Queen (Isabella) that she could not foresee the tme when
Juana would keep the corpse of her husband with her for months, expecting it
to come to life..."

I have a biography of Juana around some where and some other books that
touch on the subject of her alleged insanity.  This weekend I'll look
further.

Daniel