[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Berets was Non-SCA Authenticity

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:16:41 PST 2008

> I got to looking and found one other tidbit. In 2001, the U.S. Army made > the black beret the official hat of all Army personnel, which raised some > Ranger ire. On the same day the Army took up the black beret, the Rangers > switched to tan. I remember reading about the flap in the AF Times, but I > hadn't heard about how the Rangers handled it.> > Bear
As a Ranger trained and tabbed (but NOT Ranger unit) ex-Special Operations dude, I
was pretty annoyed at the Army Chief of Staff's decision. His decision to have the beret
be the hat of all the Army because it "raised morale" is equivalent to the BoD deciding that
everyone in the SCA should wear a white belt so everyone will feel special.

It's interesting the Rangers have now adopted the sand colored beret of the British
SAS. I still have my SAS beret that I swapped for my beret with a SAS sergeant
during some joint counter-terror training.

But the whole Army beret thing still annoys me.

Gunthar