[Sca-cooks] The use of sumac in medieval Arabic cooking

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 3 11:22:41 PST 2008

>I guess the question is, was it ever used in the medieval period?
>
>I do not specifically see it mentioned in Perry, so I am just
>wondering if there is a term I am missing, or whether it was
>Turk-specific and they brought it with them into the lands they had
>conquered.
>
>Gianotta

I'm coming in late, but yes, absolutely.

Sumac is used in eleven recipes in al-Baghdadi's cookbook.

It does not appear in any of the recipes in the Anon. Andalusian
cookbook, however.

...see my comparison of the spiceboxes of al-Baghdadi and the Anon. Andlausian

http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxBaghdadi.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxAndalusi.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxesCompared.html

And it is used in a number of other surviving Near and Middle Eastern
cookbooks. I'll look over the frustrating "Medieval Cuisine of the
Islamic World" and pull out a few.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita