[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Berets was Non-SCA Authenticity

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 3 12:08:16 PST 2008

> >the Black Beret became the standard Cover for the Army
>
> and
>
>>On the same day the Army took up the black beret the Rangers switched to
>>tan.
>

> Odd ... when I was with the 82nd ... we wore Maroon berets.  Still have
> mine ... somewhere ... I think.
>

> malkin
>

> Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

All Rangers are Airborne, but to qualify as a Ranger, you have to volunteer
for the Ranger Regiment and the Ranger School.  To my knowledge, Special
forces still have the Green Beanie and the Airborne still have their maroon
berets.  The Rangers changed from black to tan in 2001, to maintain their
exclusivity.  Since 2001, as Airborne, you could technically wear either the
maroon or black beret (as if any paratrooper would want to look like a leg).

One thing I have not checked on is whether or not the authorized headgear is
worn only when a trooper is assigned to active Special Forces, Airborne or
Ranger units.

Bear