[Sca-cooks] OOP Pizza Dough

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 4 17:39:27 PST 2008

> I'm not sure if this helps, but my experience with using semolina for
> pasta is that it really can't develop much in the way of gluten until
> it's had a good long time to absorb as much moisture as possible.
> Essentially, you knead or roll the bejeebus out of it, let it rest,
> then do it all again.
>
> Which, I suspect, is not typical treatment for pizza dough. Honestly,
> I haven't seen semolina being used for pizza, but high-gluten bread
> flour works well and is, I gather, a more-or-less industrial standard
> in American pizzerias, at least (although in some cases there are
> probably evil chemicals added to compensate for dubious dough-throwing
> skills).

Most pizza dough gets made, then used almost immediately.  This is a case
where it might pay to create a sponge from the semolina and let it set
overnight.  Then finish off the dough with high gluten bread flour.  My
experience was that it took quite a bit more time and half again as much
water to get the dough to form and definitely did not perform like a normal
pizza dough.

> I've also had excellent results with the very fine, light, whole-wheat
> durum flour designed for chapattis...
>
> Adamantius

My Asian market disappeared and until I find another chapatti flour is
probably out.

I did get some nice North African semolina flatbreads out of the 0 fine
durum, which is why I decided to test it for pizza.

Bear