[Sca-cooks] Gunthar's reception.....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 05:37:29 PST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/10/2008 8:15:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> countgunthar at hotmail.com writes:
>
> I've  been informed there will be a recieption at Gulf Wars so if
> anyone is
> there
> and wants to come by they are more than welcome. I am also going to
> have
> a reception at Steppes Warlord to visit with  folk.
>

> Hmm...I don't know about where YOU are, but here in Aethelmearc, you
> sit
> vigil (in your skivvies...usually a new white linen chemise/shirt)
> and get the
> best wishes and advice from those who wish to give it.  Outside,
> there is
> usually food and such to keep the waiting well wishers occupied
> while  waiting.
> You might want to "suggest" certain foods for this reception..and
> make sure
> that someone brings you some whilst you um...benefit from the
> other's  words of
> wisdom (or not).

It depends on where you are. I'm proceeding on the assumption that Sir
Gunthar has already been through a vigil under whatever conditions are
considered appropriate for the kingdom in which it was held. Some
kingdoms either don't hold vigils for non-chivalry peerages, and most,
I believe, don't expect peers to sit multiple vigils. Presumably the
Spirit of The Peerage descends on the candidate in the form of a dove
or some such, and any further attempts to invite it are considered by
many to be extraneous.

On the other hand, I'm sure Gunthar would welcome Laurel-specific
advice in addition to any general good wishes anyone would care to
send his way.

Adamantius