[Sca-cooks] bread machines and sour dough starter

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Feb 12 08:04:51 PST 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Dragon said:
><<< Another factor that steers me away from such a device is that my
>breads almost always involve a starter or sponge that may be
>fermenting for days prior to baking. This produces far more flavor
>and a far better texture than anything you could possibly do in a
>bread machine with quick rising yeasts. >>>
>
>Oh? You have to use a dried yeast or baking powder with a bread
>machine? You can't use a starter or sponge with a bread machine? Or
>do you just mean that you let the whole loaf rise over a long period
>before baking it? If the latter, can't you let the bread machine mix
>and knead it and then let it rise over the several days and then bake
>it in the oven or bread machine?

I mean my bread often ferments for days. I often do a thin starter
that I begin a couple of days to a week in advance then sometimes
make a thicker sponge from that which will also ferment a couple of
days. After that I make the dough, which could also ferment for a
couple of days. All of these are done at low temperature with the
exception of about a day at the very beginning and a few hours before
baking off.

So really, a bread machine is simply not going to be workable for me
in the way I do things. Nor will it be welcome in my very small
kitchen due to space considerations.

As for being required to use a dry yeast in a bread machine... I
don't think that is necessarily the case. But agin it is a moot point
as a bread machine simply isn't a good fit for the way I bake.

Dragon