[Sca-cooks] Warm Beer was Beverage experiments

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 13 18:49:44 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:34 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> There was of course that English publication that I came
> across last year. It's titled:
>
> Warm beere, or, A treatise wherein is declared by many reasons that
> beere so qualified is farre more wholsome then that which is drunke
> cold
> with a confutation of such objections that are made against it,
> published for the preservation of health.
> Published in Cambridge : Printed by R.D. for Henry Overton, and are
> to be sold at his shop ..., 1641.
>
> So even as early as 1641 the English were being urged that warm
> beer was more wholesome.

Is there a treatise on Colde Pizza, too?

OK, what I meant to say was, warm as in heated as for wassail, lamb's
wool, possets, etc., or simply not chilled? Conversely, does cold
equal chilled or simply not heated.

Or are all things assumed equal and warmer is just better than cooler,
in general?

I could understand an empirical statement made in those terms...

Adamantius