[Sca-cooks] Maslin recipes for bread machines?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:42:44 PST 2008

There is a book called Electric Bread that contains good recipes
for a variety of machines. Several rye recipes are in it. I  like
and use those. They work in my machine which is a Panasonic from 1995.
(They haven't made that model in years.) Electric Bread can be found in
the used or OP
book market. Some of the recipes can be found on the web as at
http://www.recipelink.com/cgi/msgbrd/msg_script.pl?printer=1&board=0&p_thread=8972

Rye breads in a bread machine are always going to be heavier. They take
some playing around with. This is all dependent on the various types of rye
flours that you are using and sort of rye bread you are aiming to
achieve as a
finished product. There are light, medium, deli style, dark,
pumpernickel, etc
kinds of bread. Some have caraway, anise, or onion added as ingredients.
This is one of the areas that really depends on taste and traditions. Some
people see rye bread as an ethnic light loaf. Others want a dark heavy
overpowering loaf.

Rye flour has a limited gluten content so it gets mixed with other flours.
I have recipes on hand that mention light rye, medium rye, white rye,
dark rye,
and  pumpernickel flours. These all vary from place to place and seller
to seller.
The rye flours then get mixed with white, whole wheat or even corn meal
or a combination when making the actual loaves.
Like I said a lot of options. Then when you have the flours sorted out
you may
have to add more flour or liquid to suit your machine or the cycle.

hope this helps

Johnnae