[Sca-cooks] Beverage experiments

Cassandra Baldassano euriol at ptd.net
Thu Feb 14 14:11:38 PST 2008

Although I give wikipedia articles a standard grain of salt, it does have a
reference and a picture of an ice pit in Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakhchal

I'm would presume that the ice pits evolved into what became more prominent
of ice houses in the 17th-19th century.

Also, Elizabeth David's books gives diagrams of how the ice pits were
constructed as well as a reference to a cuneiform texts in Mespotamia
describing an ice pit. The book does describe the use of straw and prunings
of tress being used as a means to insulate the ice.

The ISBN for "Harvest of the Cold Months" is 0-670-85975-3, it is a very
good read.

Euriol

Euriol of Lothian, OP
Minister of Arts & Sciences, Barony of Endless Hills
Clerk, Order of the Pelican, Kingdom of Æthelmearc

"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was
service. I acted and behold, service was joy."
-Robindranath Tagore, Poet/Playwright/Essayist 1913 Nobel Prize for
Literature