[Sca-cooks] Beverage experiments

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 14:33:00 PST 2008

In a message dated 2/13/2008 7:10:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:

<<Being hassled and/or playfully threatened by people who  feel
that they have a god-given right for event staff to purchase,  arrange,
prepare, and clean up their caffeine of choice makes me want to  scream.
For my kitchen staff, I will arrange coffee. As an event steward, I  shut
my eyes, arrange for a coffee making person, and lie back and think  of
Poland.>>

I suspect that this attitude is carried over from the workplace, where it  is
pretty much expected that coffee will be available at all times, hence the
"coffee service".  I have made several complaints through my own office's
suggestion box to the effect that it is discriminatory to offer 15+ choices of
types of coffee in multiple places in my building, but the non-coffee  drinkers
are expected to be happy with a choice of regular or decaf black tea,  sugar,
and coffee creamer, or to bring their own supplies if they are not.   Or, of
course, to avail themselves of the soda machine, most of which is stocked  with
caffienated beverages.

I've seen this attitude in other areas, however, such as the event where  the
dayboard I provided consisted of an excellent vegetarian soup, bread, fruit,
Pies of Parys, and Tarts of Ymbre Day, and where I was approached by a woman
who  seemed quite convinced that there was a stash of bread, cheese, and
hard-boiled  eggs somewhere in the kitchen and that I could of course provide her
with  such to take to her lord at the list field.  She could not fathom the
concept that these things were not available.

Brangwayna Morgan

Awards. Go to AOL Music.