[Sca-cooks] Blessed are the non-cooks

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Feb 16 06:06:56 PST 2008

I really hate doing dishes. It's simply one of those things I'd rather
not be doing, although at need, I've cheerfully dived in, and given it
my all.

I remember, at one of my first events, when I had very little garb,
diving into the dishes because they needed to be done. It was also our
shire's very first event, and I'd taken off my tunic and was wearing a
T-shirt, and had gotten into the rhythm (yes, I know how to do them,
and can do them well, I just don't like doing them) and our Baron
wanted to call us all into Court to thank our group for having a very
nice event, and I remember to this day how annoyed I was at having to
change back into garb, being interupted at this job I really didn't
like in the first place.

Some time before that, at Pennsic, I was camping on the penninsula,
and dishes needed done, so Duchess Ann de Fontaine had asked me to
help, so I did- and she actually made it fun. To this day, I think of
her with a smile, whenever I do dishes, and it makes the chore easier,
but I STILL will avoid doing dishes whenever I can do so, without over
burdening someone else.

Dishes are such a non-favorite chore in SPCA camp, that we actually
will hire scullery, when we can afford to, for the War. The usual deal
is that we pay their way in and feed them all War, usually a minimum
of 3 people, so no one gets stuck in camp all day, and provide them
with whatever they need- perhaps a tent if they don't have one, or if
they're new to the SCA, we'll make them a set of garb. Isn't too
onerous, since we also provide a sink and hot and cold running water,
and Rob usually digs a nice sump hole.

But, we really don't like doing dishes ;-O Dishwashers are highly
appreciated in our camp.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up