[Sca-cooks] Current farm prices and affects on feast budgeting

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 16 17:22:35 PST 2008

That's the Quarter (Sept-Nov 2007) price increase (based on USDA Economic
Research for Kansas City).  Five dollars (or around 25% increase) in three
months.  One year ago the price was $12.44, today it's $20.59.  That's about
a 40% increase in wheat prices in one year and the trend is upward.
Wholesale value of the flour and byproducts is about 30% more.  Then you add
in transportation, baking and sales costs and your probably looking at 300%
over wholesale.  I'm betting the farmer's 12 cents will cost us 50 cents.

Over the past two years, bread and flour prices around the world have risen
between 40% and 75%.  We're just beginning to feel the hit.

Bear