[Sca-cooks] OOP Mandolin

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 16 18:47:54 PST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 8:31 PM, otsisto wrote:

> I've had a cheap plastic one from a Chinese grocery store that has
> lasted me
> 6 yrs in making Welsh chips. The drawback is the pronged holder that
> prevents you from cutting yourself. You waste about 1/2" of veggy.
> But that
> isn't a bad idea of adding a mandolin to the feast tools.
>
> De

I also ascribe to the cheap plastic mandoline school; both they and
the expensive ones become dangerously dull in about the same amount of
time. Yes, in theory the expensive ones can be sharpened if you're
_really_ good at that sort of thing, but unless you're the only one
that touches the device, it's pretty much a given that you'll get it
back after someone has used it to repair shoes, or shave rattan, or
something.

I always seem to walk into kitchens where there's an expensive
mandoline whose blades all remind me of that old Popeye cartoon where
Popeye and Bluto are each giving a straight-razor shave to the other,
and Bluto takes the razor to a whetstone, sharpens it, then tests the
edge by chopping the whetstone into little bits, leaving a
terrifyingly-sawtoothed, jagged edge.

It's a great way to practice your knife skills, though ;-). Avoiding
such tools, I mean.

Regarding the mysterious pronged handle, unless your blades are really
dull and require a great deal of force, a folded kitchen towel works
somewhat better than the prongy-thing, I find.

Adamantius