[Sca-cooks] Feast costs/budgets

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Feb 19 14:43:35 PST 2008

>On Feb 19, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>

>>>Terese
>>>and I
>>>obviously didn't know how to cook very well, since we had to _test_
>>>our
>>>recipes...
>>>

>>My chin just hit my chest with some force! How... why... what...
>>
>>Beyond comment.
>>

>That August Personage uses recipes??? What a hack! ;-)

Yes, well, I know...

>Seriously, though, I must admit honestly that I don't always test
>recipes in real time, either; more often I do a simulation run in my
>head. But it's probably a combination of experience and extreme luck
>to have gotten away with it all these years, and I certainly would
>neither counsel my method for anyone not comfortable with it, or for
>anyone for whom there's another method that works better. I am all
>about doing what works for people.

I don't always do trial runs either, but when it's something I just
don't have any real experience with, there's nothing like it.  Oh, and
with some baked goods/pastries, I like at least one trial, maybe a couple.

>I hope you were able to make her eat her words, Antonia!

Hm, yes, well... I do enjoy a rather better reputation as a cook, and
the feast we were preparing for turned out very well.   (The menu is at
http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Canterbury_Faire_A.S._XXXIX_Feast, if
you're interested.)   She's stopped cooking, though, which is kind of
disappointing, because I was really hoping she could improve.

--
Antonia Calvo
(formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)

Habeo metrum - musicamque,