[Sca-cooks] Chefs?

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:46:47 PST 2008

> Or not. They call me Chef Selene in the local SCA, despite my > protestations of lack of paperwork to that effect.
I consider someone who has run a successful kitchen, did
the menu planning, created dishes, has classical training and
apprenticed under a proper chef could be called "chef". But
now it appears that so many people who may have a cooking
degree or been a cook uses the title, especially when hosting
a television show or writing a cookbook.

Much as I like people like Tyler Florence, Jaime Oliver, Guy Fieri
and Andrew Zimmer I consider their use of the term "chef" to be
suspect.

Bourdain, Batalli, Gordon Ramsay, John Besh, etc....are chefs
in the true sense of the word.
 > So where did Irvine buy his cookery degree? I'd love to have a > five-star pigskin, just for grins and giggles.
According to the article you can get one of the five star ratings
he claims through the mail.
> Selene
People keep telling me I should go to "Chef's School" but I'm too
damned old for the type of work that would involve. But I would
like to someday have a job in the food industry at some level.

Gunthar
Been a cook, pastry chef, host, caterer, Archimagris but
never a Chef.