[Sca-cooks] estrella siege cooking

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Feb 20 20:41:53 PST 2008

what a misbegotten adventure for myself!

dear heart went to the mtn view med center (30 miles away
from site) with pnuemonia on thursday and stayed until
about 9 a.m. on monday.   rain for two days, 3 inches of
caliche-like mud and closed roads and portapotties not
serviced for similar time.  ick!  i stayed in the tent
with the two wolfhounds and saw the big, wide world for
walkies twice a day.  SIGH!!!!

cooking competition went well, although i (as captain) was
a bit distracted having sent husband to ER that a.m.
 nothing to be done...  life goes on. just wait to call
and see what was going on.  he's doing better altho i have
taken this week off to make sure he doesn't do himself a
mischief home alone in a two-story with pussacats and
wolfies to knock him off his tenuous feet.  didn't get to
meet any body.   bummer.  no shopping either.

the outlands was defeated in their third year by mistress
kasmira and her outstanding team from artemesia.  i am
told it was by one point (as i couldn't attend the judging
as the pups were going ape-s(&^ without daddy).  we
mounted a very good, albeit not entirely italian, feast.

lets see what i remember we got:  venison we thought was
elk, lamb we thought was pork (i knew it wasn't pork but
had no idea what else it would be) and cornish hens, red
onions, scallions, garlic, fava beans, dandelion greens,
red wine, blood oranges, lemons, crimini mushies, cream,
milk, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, green olives,
spring salad mix, walnuts, figs, raisins, asst fresh and
dried herbs, salt, parmesan, flour, eggs, three color
pepppercorns, honey, raw sugar, rice.... that's all i
remember but i am sure something is missing.

some of our offerings included a salad of spring greens
with walnuts, figs, parmesan curls and olive/garlic
tapenade, focaccia and home made butter, pan fried venison
strips with four sauces (cammeline, black pepper/vinegar
(fierce!), red wine citrus, and sour cream (lemon juice
and cream), lamb (we thougth pork) ragout with fava beans
and wilted dandelion greens, cornish hens with red
wine/blood orange/bay/thyme baste and  ravioli with mushie
topping and parmesan, and dessert of traneroast (sp), rice
pudding w/ lemon zest and a plate of blood oranges and
figs.  we also served a warm mint/vinegar drink and honey
drink.

we were way out of our experience with italian, so we
focused on medieval highlighting the citrus, red wine and
spring greens.  we cooked our focaccia, cornish hens and
traneroast in the period ovens.  my fave item was the rice
pudding... the way the lemon zest just bloomed in the
mouth at room temp.

it was fun.  i was honored to pass the laurels to my good
friend mistress kasmira and her team.  after all, the fun
is in the competition and not always in the winning.
 after two straight wins, it was good to see someone else
win.

however, only the outlands and artemesia played, something
that dissappointed all involved.  we had hoped at least
caid would mount a teama, aten being involved in putting
the whole thing on and all and therefore busy. 8)

i dunno... we may take a vacation from estrella next year.
 this one was a personal bummer what with the illness and
all.

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico