[Sca-cooks] Paper revsion

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 20:56:04 PST 2008

Gianotta said:

<<< Back on a food topic, I'm revamping my paper on Muslims in
Sicily, and in the recipes section, plan to compare more Arab-
descended Sicilian and mainland dishes with medieval Arab recipes:
for example, pasticcio ibn al-Thumna with bazmaward; scapece alla
Vastese with samak musakbaj; sfinci with isfunj; qubbaita with
fustuqiyya; and martorana with samak wa-Aqras (I chose this recipe
because the resulting paste is put into wooden molds and made into
fish, lambs, loaves, etc. ? and there is still a tradition today in
Sicily of molding marzipan with wooden and plaster molds,
particularly the Easter lambs and the St. Joseph's day hearts). >>>

I've probably missed earlier comments on this since I've had to skip
some digests for now, but I would be interested in considering your
paper for the Florilegium. I'm afraid I don't have that much on
Sicily in there now. I can hold off publishing it until it is
published somewhere else if that is what you are writing it for, or
your A&S display or whatever.

fd-Sicily-msg     (10K)  5/29/05    Food of medieval Sicily.
Sicily-msg        (13K)  5/21/04    Period Sicily. Culture, history,
food.

<<< Barad seems to be very similar to funnel cake, that Italian
festival staple. Incidentally, I was looking up information about the
town where my grandfather was born, in Calabria ? Sellia Marina. This
led me to YouTube, of all places, where there were several videos of
a local saint's festival in Sellia Marina, with street games, etc. ?
and a funnel cake stand. No sausage and peppers, though! >>>

There does appear to be some evidence of funnel cakes being period:
fried-breads-msg  (22K)  9/12/06    Period fried breads. Funnel
cakes, donuts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/fried-breads-msg.html

Stefan
--------