[Sca-cooks] Choosing a Cook, was Cooking and Serving Equipment

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 11:00:15 PST 2008

Aldyth wrote:

"What made me laugh about the whole thing was that our group is having
an event in April autocrated by a self proclaimed wonderful cook.  And
since she made the local cooks guild mad at her she outsourced the feast."

Acually ... I feel obliged to set the record straight here ...  The cook
to whom she "outsourced" the feast (and in this case, "outsourced" means
from another SCA group, not from outside the SCA) has been actively
seeking opportunities to cook a feast, so it's quite possible that he
sought out the autocrat rather than vice versa.  (He's very
enthusiastic).  He has also done cooking for events in that shire
before, so it's not like he was a straight-out-of-the-blue choice.  He's
a good friend of mine, and I've been consulting with him about the feast
-- it sounds like it's going to be very tasty!

The members of your Cooks Guild should not feel obligated in any way to
lend out their personal equipment if they choose not to do so.  I've got
a stash of equipment of my own, and I'm fairly selective about who I
lend it out to.  I'm not as worried about the pots and pans that I got
for $6 apiece, but the roasters only go out to people whom I know are
trustworthy.  The good knives only go out if I'm actually working in the
kitchen, and the Mandoline Of Death no longer goes out of the house at
all (having sent someone to the emergency room last time it was used)!

In this particular case, the feast cook will be borrowing some serving
equipment from me; he may also borrow some from our barony's supplies.
Our barony has a decent amount of equipment, though we could use more in
the way of serving gear; most of it was either donated or purchased by
the barony after discussion at Baronial meetings.  Our Cook's Guild also
has some equipment, which as I understand it is not part of the Barony's
equipment.

But Aldyth's posting does bring up an interesting question:  One thing
I've often heard is, "I'm not part of the local cooks guild, so I didn't
think I was allowed to cook a feast."  Do any groups out there actually
have such requirements?  Should there be such a requirement?

Our group has no such requirement, but I have heard it said more than
once that we do.  That distresses me, because I don't like to think that
people who would otherwise be willing to volunteer are hanging back
because of some perceived prerequisite.  On a gut level, I'd really
rather not see someone cook a large and high-profile feast (such as
Crown Tournament or Twelfth Night) as their first feast, but for a
smaller feast, I'd be less concerned.

How do other people feel about this?

Arwen Southernwood
Caerthe, Outlands