[Sca-cooks] Advice on feast cooking and supplying.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 22:45:55 PST 2008

Sabina said:

<<< I agree with everything you suggested here. I doubt seriously
with my limited vision, that I would ever cook a feast that
large..but hey,
anything could happened, right? >>>

My eyesight isn't that good, but I've never considered that it might
be a limitation in my cooking a feast. My problem is more a lack of
cooking experience, particularly with large quantities. So I don't
see myself cooking a feast, but I have done one Royal Luncheon that
went over well.

Why do you think your eyesight might limit your cooking a feast? For
the most part you aren't cooking everything, you are leading others
in cooking individual dishes. I see a headcook as an overseeer,
organizer and troubleshooter. Others may disagree, though.

Perhaps this file in the FEASTS section of the Florilegium might be
useful to you:
headcooks-msg    (155K)  5/17/01    Advice for SCA headcooks.
Planning feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/headcooks-msg.html

<<< I especially agree with the budgetary
suggestions, as on 2 fixed incomes I'd have to do it that way anyhow.
99cent stores was a surprise though. We've got one and we cruise it
frequently. >>>

While this may not work for a large feast, you might like to look at
these files for cooking some period food at home:
Cheap-Apicius-art (13K)  9/28/98    "Apicius for the Impoverished" by
Margali.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cheap-Apicius-art.html
cheap-meats-msg   (18K)  9/ 4/97    Cheap meats for feasts. Cooking
with them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/cheap-meats-msg.html

Stefan
--------