[Sca-cooks] Tetilla cheese

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:12:24 PST 2008

Sabina wrote:

>> > I didn't see any Spanish cheeses there but I have found a Gallician
>> > Tetilla,
>> > Does anyone have any references on this cheese?
Are you trying to say Galicia is not part of Spain -  :-D !
Tetilla or perilla is a soft "teat" cheese known for its quality. It is
a combination of goat and cow milk that is left to coagulate naturally
overnight. During the Middle Ages it was shaped by hand into the form of
a pear or bosom and hung in the smoke room for at least three days. It
has a pleasantly clean, a little sour, salty flavor. For centuries it
has been made in Manjarín del Puerto, the last village on the way to
Monte Irago which is on the way of St. James in León, but originated in
Galicia and is made also in Pontevedra, La Coruña and Lugo.
Traditionally, it is an obligatory dessert on the day of Our Lady,
September 8, served with round cake and honey. Otherwise it is used in
dishes calling for cheese that melts easily.
Suey