[Sca-cooks] Juana la Loca

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 29 12:14:32 PST 2008

Ferdinand and Isabella, Prescott Vol. II page 278

"She made her journeys at night, saying, that " a widow, who has lost the
sun of her own soul, should never expose herself to the light of day."
When she halted, the body was deposited in some church or monastery, where
the funeral services were performed, as if her husband had just died; and a
corps of armed men kept constant guard, chiefly, as it would seem, with the
view of preventing any female from profaning the place by her presence."

snip

"In a subsequent journey, when at a short distance from Torquemada, she
ordered the corpse to be carried into the courtyard of a convent, occupied,
as she supposed, by monks.  She was filled with horror, however, on finding
it a nunnery, and immediately commanded the body to be removed into the open
fields.  Here she encomped with her whole party as the dead of night; not,
however, until she had caused the coffins to be unsealed, that she might
satisfy herself of the safety of her husband's relics; although it was very
difficult to keep the torches, during the time, from being extinguished by
the violence of the wind, and leaving the company in total darkness."

Daniel