[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 22, Issue 75

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 19:16:02 PST 2008

Gracious Johnnae and all on this wondrous list,

I apologize if my missive was misleading. It is not
for myself I am disillusioned.

I have also done donation lunches, and taught classes,
and traveled, and assisted in feast kitchens at
distant events.  Those who asked me to cook, or teach
have ALWAYS thanked me in some way.  Frankly, had they
not said thank you I would have not gone back another
time.  (I have been told I am a slow learner, but I
can be taught :-)

On the Feast issue, I am not disappointed on my own
behalf, but on behalf of those who cooked and worked
because _I_ asked them, and who were not (IMHO) truly
acknowledged.  I was thanked (as I mentioned at the
end of the first block) individually by several
members of the populace, and more in subsequent hours
and days, also by the autocrat (who also provided
trinkets to the crew), and by our Baroness (in
writing.)  I also made it a point to ask a boon in
Baronial Court and publicly recognized all my crew (I
admit, I forgot one and humbly apologized when I
recalled) and the populace cheered them mightily, but
I feel _I_ should not have been the one to initiate
this, and it should not have come just from myself and
the populace.
I also make it a point to provide a small trinket of
my appreciation to anyone who helps in my kitchen
(requested helpers and those who may wander in to do
some dishes and depart again.)
But Euriol made my point quite plain "I do not recall
any time that I have not been brought out, as a Head
Cook, and thanked for the feast by the Royals."  All
my previous endeavors as head cook the Cook AND the
entire kitchen crew was called forth and thanked, or
given thanks in the kitchens on a more personal level.
 In this case neither happened.
While I may cook again on a smaller, more personal
level, I do not feel it is fair to ask others to work
this hard and be forgotten.

In Service, Sadness, and Clarification
Gwen Cat
(ah the power of a word)

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:55:57 -0500
> From: Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Feast Thanks and Feasts
> To: Cooks within the SCA
> <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
>
> How many of us have donated a Royal luncheon or an
> entire course and
> never been thanked?
> snip
>
> Johnnae