[Sca-cooks] Non-SCA Authenticity

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 1 10:09:44 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> Charlie didn't mention biscotti.  That may be more "New York" where
> influence of Italian immigration was more pronounced.  My mom, the
> onetime Greenwich Village coffeehouse chick, is all for the idea of
> biscotti on the other hand.  I say, let's do biscotti anyway because
> they neatnik for the beatnik, you dig?

Ah, yes, the Cafe Borgia, ummm, is there a female-specific equivalent
to Daddy-o?

> Beats = emo goths of the 50's?
>
> Sel.

Sounds about right. Jack Kerouac meets Maynard G. Krebs, Simon and
Garfunkel performing with short hair, black suits and ties, that sort
of thing.

This is all really before my time, I confess, but I do have early
memories of hippies (and even Yippies) in various pop-culture media,
such as comic strips, depicted as being largely indistinguishable from
beatniks, which is pretty funny when you think about it. A little like
being unable to distinguish between the Bee Gees and the Sex Pistols,
but when has actual familiarity ever been a prerequisite for judgement?

Adamantius