[Sca-cooks] Once again, Tentative New Year's Menus

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 5 04:26:18 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 12:07 AM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> A fire year is extra special, yes? What other kinds of years are
> there?

CAVEAT:

Large, somewhat hairy man here, no caffeine yet...

That said, there are, as I understand it, five elements (the Western /
Greco-Roman world tends to have four): metal, wood, fire, water, and
earth. For this reason, one should only have a year associated with
his or her astrological sign _and_ a particular element every sixty
years, so I'm all confused: the last Fire Ox Year was 1997-1998.

It may be some informal good-luck term to associate fire with "your"
year. According to Wikipedia (which has some pretty extensive entries
on Chinese astrology), we're entering an Earth Rat Year, to be
followed by an Earth Ox Year, which will be followed by a Metal Tiger
Year.

I'm thinking this will all be very clear after some coffee...

Adamantius