[Sca-cooks] Beret was Non-SCA Authenticity

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 6 05:00:23 PST 2008

Possibly.  Beret derives from the Latin "burris" meaning hooded cloak, so
the word is old enough.

What we think of as a beret seems to originate in southern France.  I
suspect that it originates in the maquis and garrigue along the
Mediterranean and back along the Pyrenees where a brimless hat might be an
advantage in the brush.  Record of its spread and general use appears to
begin in the 18th Century.

An Italian variant of the word, biretta, describes a stiff cap with three or
four ridges across the crown commonly used by the Roman Catholic clergy
(black for priests, purple for bishops, red for cardinals).

Bear