[Sca-cooks] Lent Approaches

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 9 05:37:34 PST 2008

Oh, yes, HFCS is one of the biggies - no Coca Cola!!! (Although Passover is
coming soon, I might be able to find some Kosher Cokes that are made with
sugar ;) ). More insidious than that are the myriad chemicals derived from
corn that don't have the word "corn" in the name - maltodextrin for example.
I have worked with many people that have corn allergies (or children with
them) and realize how many products contain some sort of corn.  Michael
Poullan in his book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" basically says every molecule
of our body is made from corn at this point, due to the fact that everything
we eat has either been fed corn, processed with corn, or contains corn as an
ingredient.
I actually don't think I am allergic to corn (the blood type diet says it is
a 'neutral' food for me) but I am interested in eliminating the many
derivatives of it from my diet, especially the HFCS.
And yes, I fell off the wagon the first morning - used some BBQ sauce and
realized that I should check the label - sure enough, HFCS was the second
ingredient - dang it!  Just goes to show how it shows up in everything!
Thanks for your words of encouragement,
Christianna