[Sca-cooks] Dates

Barbara Dodge awench1 at cox.net
Mon Feb 11 16:35:57 PST 2008

I have finally been able to identify the variety of dates I have.  They are madjoor dates.  This cookie recipe looks wonderful, however if I made them with the dates I have, the cookies would be HUGE!  These dates, I kid you not, run about 2-2-1/2 inches long. :-)

Felicia
---- PKSARGE at aol.com wrote:

=============
Having spent nearly two years in North Africa and several visits to the
Middle East (courtesy of Uncle Sam) I can tell you that fresh dates are indeed a
treat. There are also many local varieties that never make it outside the local
markets. Here is a recipe that combines stuffed dates and cookies. It is from
"The Spice Cookbook" by Avanella Day and Lillie Stuckey, David White Co. New
York, 1964.

Blind Date cookies:

3 dozen pitted, dried dates
3 dozen pecans

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar

1 large egg

1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Stuff dates with pecans and set aside. Mix together the next 5 ingredients
until well blended. Beat in egg. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and add
to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Drop dough, in rounded 1/2
teaspoonsful, 1/2 inches apart, onto lightly greased cooky sheets. Press a stuffed
date into the center of each. Cover date completely with a little more dough.
Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 15 minutes or until
lighltly browned around the edges. Cool on wire rack. Store airtight.
YEILD: 3 dozen cookies

Have fun and enjoy your dates,
Mykael Halfdan
AKA Dennis Olson