[Sca-cooks] Gunthar's reception.....

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Mon Feb 11 18:58:39 PST 2008

That's got to be, in some respects, a regional or kingdom thing.  I didn't get vigils or anything fancy at all with either peerage, but then the first one (uh, 15? 18? years ago...) was done at a time in Atenveldt when it was pretty rare for even Chiv to get anything super fancy, and my second peerage was a deliberate drive-by.  Nowadays, the vigils (when they're done) are pretty much up to the preferences of the candidates, as much as possible.  If I'd had the opportunity, I'd have had a relaxed party/vigil, and then an as-period-and-formal-as-I-could-make-it ceremony (complete with wearing a copy of Elizabeth I's gown from the Pelican portrait), but that didn't happen.  Oh well, I'll make the dress some day anyways!
There are bare hints of Chiv being more equal than the other peerages in my experience of living in Atenveldt and Artemisia, but I don't really get it from the members of the chivalry around here--it's more from the non-peers.  There's an "okay, that's a cool award" feel to people getting tapped to be a Pel or Laurel, but there's this huge, built-in "ooh, ahhh!" for a candidate for knighthood.  A bit unfair, perhaps, but more a product of our culture than anything.  And, of course, the way the SCA is structured means that as a non-fighting artisan, I could never win a crown or coronet with the work of my hands....
We don't have peerage circlets in Artemisia at all (only for baronage and current/former royals), so the chaplet of leaves would be a non-issue.  And as long as I'm in fealty, I'm allowed to wear my medallions on a simple gold chain, if I wish.  I did ask several local knights if they'd have a problem if I chose to wear a large-linked chain as part of a GermanRen outfit, and no one had any problem with it at all.
--Maire