[Sca-cooks] Wine Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 22:06:20 PST 2008

Ardenia asked:

<<< Anybody out ther have a good resource for cheing on wine types
etc... and their "periodness"... I'm looking specifically for info on
Rhine and Burgundy. >>>

As with cheeses, I think you are going to run into problems
determining, whether a modern regional wine name is anything like a
medieval wine from that region. Also complications caused by medieval
storage technology which seems to show that wine couldn't be kept for
a year and the idea of vintages and extended aging not being there.
However, as various regional wines have been mentioned on this list
and elsewhere, including those from Greece, I've tried to save those
messages in these files in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:

Eiswein-msg       (11K) 10/ 1/04    Wine made from grapes left on the
vine until
                                        after the first frost.
wine-msg         (132K)  1/14/08    Medieval wines.

The cork stopper seems to be very late period, which is one thing
needed for long term storage of wine in bottles.
p-bottles-msg     (20K)  9/12/01    Period beverage bottles and
stoppers.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas