[Sca-cooks] Beverage experiments

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 13 17:32:44 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 8:12 PM, jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> Well, there's lots of 14th-16th c. garden pictures, etc. of people
> cooling
> something in jugs placed in containers of water, streams, well-
> heads, etc.
> But it's not clear what they are cooling, since we can't really see.

Nor can we see how cool the stream is; it's presumably a safe
assumption it is below 98.6, but how much below, who knows?

> It's certainly possible that fewer of the brewed grain beverages
> (ales/beers) made in period were meant to be served chilled--
> apparently
> lagers are the most outstanding of category of beers-to-be-served-
> cold,
> and lagers, using a more cold-adapted and bottom-fermenting yeast,
> seem to
> have been less common in period.

Yes, and also not very common in England, where a lot of SCAdians get
their sources from.

> And ales, so says my local beer nerd, are generally to be drunk room
> temperature.

Your LBN is correct. Of course, we also don't know what "room
temperature" is, apart from a general range and some clues based on
what people are wearing, etc. Central heating being a rarity and all...

Adamantius