[Sca-cooks] Blessed are the non-cooks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 17:56:07 PST 2008

Kiri commented:
<<< In our group, we have a saying that "cooks don't clean."  And if
I've
head-cooked a feast and find one who has worked on the feast in the
kitchen
cleaning, I chase them away.  I do at least stay there long enough to
make
sure left-overs are taken care of, and that the right dishes go to
the right
places. >>>

I agree strongly that a cook, if not the headcook, should stay around
or be available until the left-overs are taken care of. I've come in
to help clean up kitchens and not known whether some food was to be
saved or even whether it was safe to save it.

There's also the problem of identifying which pots and cooking
utensils are owned by the site, and where they should go if that is
the case, which are owned by the sponsoring group and which are owned
by individuals and need to be set aside to be returned to them after
cleaning. I've come into kitchens after a feast to help cleanup and
not one individual from the hosting group was there. They were out
watching court or whatever.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas