[Sca-cooks] Current farm prices and affects on feast budgeting

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 17 09:31:04 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
Another data point, at my last feast, I had a $500 budget to feed 100
people.  I spent $5.74 for wheat flour and $6.28 for rye flour, for two
kinds of bread, a pie, dumplings and fish in pastry.  Even if that doubled
its still about 1% of the whole budget.  Grain is CHEAP.  Its not going to
effect feast prices that much.

Ranvaig  > > > > > >>

My math also shows 2.4% as purchased . . . doubling to 4.8%.

Grain as flour may feel insiificant, but that same grain will echo through
the marketplace and affect SO MANY other prices that you may not see, from
animal proteins to dairy products to eggs to cooking oils.  Grain is the
foundation of the food supply, and even small changes in their pricing will
impact the rest of the food supply.  You do not need to simply believe me .
. . you will see the pricing changes in the feast costs that us
restaurateurs have been getting smacked with for months.  Sure, smaller
scale will mean smaller pains, but $5 will soon be impractical for feast
budgets, and $7 to $10 will be the bottom amounts for the same volume of
food.  Yes, I predict a 40% to 100% increase in feast fees at events in the
next 6 months.

niccolo difrancesco