[Sca-cooks] Bread Books

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 17 12:00:28 PST 2008

>I own it and like it because it has formulas and instructions in it
>for those decorative and display items that might be used as subtleties.
>Bread plaques, baskets, platters, boxes all made of bread.
>Stuff that you don't find in other books. It did win a Julia Child/IACP
>prize in 2005.
>Is it a baking book for the general home baker? Probably not.
>I think in places it's probably overly complicated for a novice baker.

I think my problem is I'm not a novice baker, but I'm not sure how much
further along the continuum I am.  :-)  It certainly has lots of nice
information in it.  I do have a number of other bread books, but haven't
been baking much, since I live alone and don't eat that much bread.  Even
baking a single loaf usually means freezing half of it so it will still be
edible when I get around to it.

>You might enjoy books by Beth Hensperger more. Or maybe even go browse
>the shelves at your local public library. Bread books are a staple of the
>culinary
>collection.

I may have one of hers, but I'm not sure if it's actually mine or from the
Cornell library.  Some of those I've had out for a few years, and it can be
hard to remember I don't own them.

Sandra