[Sca-cooks] Wow. Robert Irvine exposed

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:00:52 PST 2008

> I can't address the question of a quantified skill set for Flay, but > I've seen him cook with my own eyes, so it appears he's at least > capable of turning out a meal when required.

I'm sure that he can cook a decent meal within very limited
perameters. He has competant basic skillsets.
 > was, "You know I really am a real, live chef, you know. Really. Not > just some kid playing chef dress-up. Honest."> > Of course, he got his first chef's job doing pretty much exactly that, > but why he felt he had to make this point to someone even lower on the > experience scale than him, if such a thing were possible, is beyond > me. But he had a real chip on his shoulder about being thought a fraud > of some kind. I don't know if this is still the case.
That seems to be the actions of people who are given something
they feel deep down they never earned or don't deserve. I've seen
it in the SCA many times. The knight who isn't that great a fighter
or the duke who cheated his way through Crown always seem to
be the people who have the biggest coronets or constantly throw
the fact of their rank and how they should be respeced in peoples'
faces the most.

The problem that I, and it seems many people have with Flay, is
the coddling FoodNetwork gives him, his smug attitude even when
he is often exposed in being a hack and his total lack of imagination
when cooking. I'm tired of Flay given softball ingredients on Iron
Chef and judges who must have taken lessons in judging from East
Germany.

At least Rachel Ray remains humble on the aspect that she isn't
a real chef and seems to hold people who have made it in a bit of
awe. She's just a foodie who made good. (And, no, I don't like Rachel
Ray either.)
> there are > plenty of people being called "chefs" on FoodTV and in that whole > peripheral world, with no more qualification or experience than him.

I agree that the word "chef" has become bandied about rather liberally
lately from the meaning of a true chef. Nowadays it seems that
anyone who graduates from the spate of cooking schools that have
sprung up around the country can be called a chef.

I still respect Irvine for his cooking skills and imagination.
But the man was stupid to allow such claims to be made and think
he could get away with it.

> Adamantius
Gunthar