[Sca-cooks] Late Italian feast

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 20 12:58:56 PST 2008

On 2/20/08, Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

> Just a thought.
> Italian titles for the dishes with a description in English.

Planning on it. Original recipes, translations & redactions for everything I
can get.

> Anything in season that you can get?

Working on that.

> I personally would move the chickens up to the second course and serve
> them as
> the primary meat course.

My reason for it was that the chicken takes longer to cook and the fish
needed to be served ASAP.  Since the first course was a stew, I can time the
fish better in the second course.

> Move the fish to the third course.

See above

> Do the fish and pork compliment each other?

I'm debating on dropping the whole dish and just serving salad.  When I
tried it, it got cold and greasy very quickly.  Cold greasy peas are nasty.

> I have helped Helewyse with several of her Italian banquets
> and she always puts a cold course out to start on the table.

I'm actually intentionally avoiding that as I have 2 intermezzos planned.
The cheese is a tasting course due to the quantities I am able to produce
myself (I'm making all the cheese)

> I'd also add another plain cake or something for the dessert/sweet course,
> but then I usually ended up making these and bringing them along to her
> feasts.

I have another idea for a 2nd dessert.  I'll see how the budget lays out.

> Oh salads still go better if served earlier in the meal too.

Noted.

Thanks for the input!
Vitha