[Sca-cooks] Current farm prices and affects on feast budgeting

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Wed Feb 20 22:53:15 PST 2008

>Well, here in NoCal in the Central West, the fee for most period
>feasts is about $15, although some are less. We gradually raised the
>prices over the past few years because with the very high cost of
>sites, they just weren't doing so well... sometimes losing a bit of
>money, sometimes breaking even - when, i gather, the idea is to make
>a small amount as a cushion for those that don't break even - when
>the weather is rainy, often fewer folks show up than have RSVP'd.
>
>  Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
>the persona formerly known as Anahita

Our Barony usually does potluck dinners. But we hold one annual feast
in October, and it's as period as we can make it. We charge around
$15 a person, partly because food is expensive in Alaska, and partly
because indoor sites with good kitchens are mostly too expensive for
our small feast (50+). We almost always lose money, but it's not
much, and it's expected. We plan for it but making sure we make money
on other events and via fundraising year-round.

We're rather proud of this feast tradition, which goes back to about
AS XIV, and people travel the previously-mentioned 400 miles to eat
with us (G).

Morgana yr Oerfa, the Oerthan expert today (the other Oerthans hereon
are either returning from or recovering from Estrella)